Overseas support

In order to accept placement of your child, and complete overseas adoption and immigration formalities or court proceedings, you will be required to travel to the child’s country of birth.

Travel arrangements should not be confirmed until your State or Territory central authority advises you to do so.

To help Australians avoid difficulties overseas, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade maintains travel advisories for more than 160 destinations.

The travel advice on the Smartraveller website is one of the resources that travellers can use to make informed travel decisions.  The service highlights the range of risks that you could face at your destination, whether related to security, safety, health, local laws, entry/exit requirements, or natural disasters.

As part of planning for any trip, we strongly recommend that you read and subscribe to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smartraveller service.

You can also review