Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service
The Australian Government funds an independent, nationwide service to help people going through or who have gone through the intercountry adoption process.
Help and support for adopters and adoptees
The Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service is a free service that provides counselling and case management services to help your family deal with the issues and challenges unique to the intercountry adoption journey.
Who can they help?
The service is available to:
- anyone who has applied for intercountry adoption and is going through the assessment process
- anyone who has already been through the adoption process (post adoption)
- anyone who adopted a child while living overseas and have returned to live in Australia
- children, teenagers and adults who were adopted from overseas
How can they help us?
Relationship Matters provide the Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service. It can help you with:
- practical and emotional support to prepare you for the assessment process
- support in planning for and meeting your child
- help with the transition from couple to parents
- support for you and your child in managing challenging behaviours at any age
You can call or email a member of the Relationship Matters Intercountry Adoption Support Team on 1300 543 396 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The team will ask you for some details about your situation and refer you to information and a support worker or counsellor in your area.
Transition to the Intercountry Adoptee and Family Support Service
From 1 July 2021, the re-designed Intercountry Adoptee and Family Support Service will be provided by Relationships Australia. Relationship Matters will hand over the delivery of the ICAFSS to Relationships Australia throughout April, May and June 2021. You can read more about the transition in the Minister’s announcement.
Clients can continue to access services through Relationship Matters until 30 June 2021. Relationships Australia will work closely with Relationship Matters to ensure clients are linked appropriately to the new service with ongoing support for a seamless transition, including working with clients’ existing counsellors on therapeutic transition plans to support this process.
DSS is extremely grateful for the tireless dedication, and essential support and care provided by Relationship Matters to the intercountry adoption community since 2016.
You can contact the Intercountry Adoptee and Family Support Service at Relationships Australia on (08) 8245 8100 or email email@example.com.