Time and costs
Waiting times of several years are not uncommon. Many factors can affect the time the process takes, including:
- the number and characteristics of children needing intercountry adoption
- the number of applicants the partner country has already received
- the age and needs of the child/children you have been approved to adopt
- how long the partner country takes to process your application.
Adopting a child from overseas can be expensive. Fees vary between STCAs and the partner countries.
You should contact your local STCA for detailed costs.
You may also need to pay fees to the partner country, as well as paying for:
- document preparation and translation
- travel and accommodation costs
Further information on fees charged by overseas authorities can be found at partner countries’.
Remember that paying your application fees doesn’t guarantee that a child will be placed with you.
Other immigration and documentation fees you will also need to pay include: