For adoptees and their families
If you are interested in accessing support services, such as counselling, family therapy, mediation or cultural support, please refer to the Support Services for Adoptees page.
InterCountry Adoptee Voices also provides a range of links to adoptee led peer support groups, perspective papers and research by adoptees, and a range of post adoption material prepared by adoptees for adoptees.
Tracing and reunification
There are a number of free and paid tracing and reunification services to help adoptees look for birth parents or family.
Tracing and reunification services must be approached with caution – please ensure that any services you engage with operate legally and with respect for the privacy of all persons involved.
The following information may be helpful:
- InterCountry Adoptee Voices has a page of resources for Adoption Search and Reunion.
- International Social Service Australia has published Intercountry Adoption and Search for Origins: A guide for adoptees (PDF) and developed a short video about the impact of Finding Your Origins.
- Relationships Australia South Australia provides support for adoptees.
For state and territory specific support for accessing personal documents related to your adoption, please refer to the following sites:
- ACT: Searching for adoption information and birth relatives
- NSW: Finding information on past adoptions
- NT: Northern Territory – Adoption Unit
- Qld: Access to adoption records
- SA: Applying for Adoption Information
- Tas: Information about accessing and registering for Information from the adoption records
- Vic: Past Adoption Records
- WA: Post Adoption Information and Services
Views and recommendations of third parties, which may also be included on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the Commonwealth, or indicate a commitment to a particular course of action.
Links to other Internet sites are for your convenience. These links do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organisation, product or service.
View further information about the Department’s website linking policy.