What countries can I adopt from?
Australia currently has intercountry adoption arrangements with 13 countries. These are called partner countries.
Each partner country has its own specific adoption requirements, such as:
- who is eligible to adopt
- characteristics of children available for adoption
- indicative waiting times
- approximate costs
- finalisation and post-adoption arrangements
- immigration and citizenship arrangements
- whether they are party to the Hague Convention
- meet the eligibility criteria of the state or territory you live in and
- meet the eligibility criteria of the partner country
Your state and territory central authority (STCA) provides advice to those hoping to adopt, accepts adoption applications and assesses eligibility.
Below is a list of countries you may be eligible to adopt a child from:
- Hong Kong
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
It’s important you contact your STCA to discuss current arrangements with your choice of partner country.