Contact us

Intercountry Adoption Australia is closed from 12:30pm Thursday 24 December 2020 until 9am Monday 4 January 2021. Telephone and email enquiries will be responded to when the service reopens.

For general enquiries, you can get in touch with us by phoning, writing or filling in the contact form.

You should contact your state and territory central authority for specific enquiries about:

  • eligibility and the application process in your state or territory
  • information and education session dates and times
  • accessing your or your child’s adoption records


You can call us on 1800 197 760 (freecall). Leave a message and someone will return your call.

If you call on a private number and don’t leave a contact number we won’t be able to call you back.

If you’re deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY users: phone 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 197 760
  • Speak and Listen users: phone 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 197 760
  • internet relay users: connect to the National Relay Service and enter 1800 197 760


You can write to us at:

Intercountry Adoption Australia
Department of Social Services
GPO Box 9820
Canberra ACT 2601

Contact form

Complaints and feedback

If you have a complaint or compliment you can fill in the contact form above or call us on 1800 197 760.

If you want to raise a concern about the service you have received from us, please call 1800 197 760 and ask to speak to the manager.

If you aren’t satisfied you can contact the complaints team at the Department of Social Services:

Telephone: 1800 634 035
Fax: 02 6133 8442
Mail: DSS Feedback, GPO Box 9820, Canberra ACT 2601


To provide you with the best service we need to collect and store some of your personal information. This information will be used by Intercountry Adoption Australia to effectively answer your enquiry, as well as for training, reporting and evaluation purposes.

When you talk to an Intercountry Adoption Australia officer, you can advise us if you give consent for your information being provided to other organisations.

To answer your enquiry accurately, we may need to share your information with other government agencies, such as state or territory central authorities, the Department of Home Affairs or the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

If you provide us with information regarding risk to a person’s welfare or safety, we may disclose this information to relevant law enforcement or welfare authorities.

You can read more about the Department of Social Services privacy policy.