Australian Government support

The Australian Government can help you throughout the adoption process. We can provide information, support and counselling related to adoption. This help comes through both government and non-government support.

Department of Social Services

The Department of Social Services manages Australia’s Intercountry Adoption program. Working with state and territory central authorities to support families going through or having gone through the intercountry adoption process.


For up-to-date advice on travel to your child’s birth country visit

As well as specific country travel advice, they can also help you with:

  • travel checklists
  • getting a foreign visa
  • working out if you need vaccinations
  • finding the right travel insurance
  • information about risks that you could face
  • consular services overseas

Other travel advice

You can also visit the Australian travellers page on for advice on:

  • travelling with children
  • what to pack
  • what you need to declare when coming back into Australia

Services Australia

Services Australia delivers payments and services to help parents care for their adopted child.

Free translation of documents

The Free Translating Service is free for permanent residents and select temporary or provisional visa holders. You can have up to 10 eligible documents translated into English.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) helps people with permanent and significant disability that affects their everyday life.

The NDIS provides support to people with a disability, their families and carers. It focuses on early intervention to help reduce the impact of disability on you or your child. It can assist with information and referrals to help you access community support.

Family and Relationship Services

Family and Relationship Services provide counselling and education to all types of families. It aims to:

  • strengthen family relationships
  • prevent breakdown
  • ensure the wellbeing and safety of children

Family Relationship Advice Line

The Family Relationship Advice Line is a national telephone service that can provide:

  • information and services to help maintain healthy relationships
  • advice on family relationships and separation issues
  • telephone and online dispute resolution
  • guidance on developing workable parenting arrangements after separation
  • information about the family law system
  • referral to other services to help with family relationship and separation issues

Family Mental Health Support Services

The Family Mental Health Support Services (FMHSS) provide early intervention support to children and young people who show signs of, or are at risk of developing mental illness.

FMHSS can help with:

  • assessment and identification of needs
  • practical help and home-based support
  • community outreach, mental health education and community development activities

Other Australian Government support services

Other support services can help your family, these include:

  • can help you find information and services around Australia, including information on starting a family
  • is your health record in one place. It provides information on how to register your child for an eHealth record
  • can help you find child care near you and how to get help with the cost of child care