Applying for intercountry known non-relative adoption

As a starting point, you should contact the relevant authority in the country where the child lives and request they conduct an assessment of the child for adoption. In the case of intercountry known non-relative adoptions, your state or territory central authority will not do this for you.

The overseas authority must determine whether the child is legally able to be adopted and whether it is in the child’s best interests. If so, the overseas authority will provide a report on the child’s circumstances and request that the child be adopted . The overseas authority will send this request to your state or territory central authority.

When your state or territory central authority receives the request, it will determine if the request complies with the standards and principles of the Hague Convention (with assistance from the Australian Central Authority where necessary), whether the adoption would be in accordance with state or territory law and whether the proposed adoption is likely to be progressed before the child reaches 18 years of age.

If an adoption placement is being considered for the child, your state or territory central authority will assess your eligibility and suitability to adopt the child. If successful, the assessment report is sent to the overseas authority.

If the adoption placement is judged to be in the child’s best interests, the overseas authority and your state or territory central authority will agree to facilitate the adoption. The overseas authority is responsible for ensuring the necessary consents for the child’s adoption are obtained.

For more information about intercountry known non-relative adoption, read this document or contact the central authority in your state or territory by email, telephone or via their website.

Immigration requirements

Australia’s adoption visa requirements are in place to protect the best interests of the child. An adoption visa will only be granted if specific immigration laws are satisfied and the adoption has occurred through the appropriate channels.

If an intercountry known non-relative adoption is not arranged through the relevant state or territory central authority, there is significant risk that the child will not meet Australian immigration requirements and will not be able to enter Australia.

For more detailed immigration information, please visit Immigration, citizenship and passports or contact us.